If I’m being
honest I didn’t feel like writing a sermon this week.
If I’m being
honest I don’t feel like preaching today.
But as a
person of faith we gather together, to sing and pray and proclaim God’s
presence in the world even in the midst of tragedy.
Friday I
turned on the TV only to hear about the events that took place in CT. As a parent and as a Christian the news was
difficult to watch.
As I watched
I was flooded with emotions…sorrow, confusion, anger, hurt, and disgust.
How could
anyone do such a thing?
How can
there be so much evil in the world?
Where was
God? How could God let something like
this happen?
Social media
was littered with posts and tweets about gun control, mental health reform and
others proclaiming there can be no God because God would not let this happen.
It is in
times of tragedy our faith is often shaken.
The events
of Friday beg the age old question…why do bad things happen to good
people?
There is no
answer to this question.
I STRUGGLE to
think that God was NOT present in the midst of the chaos. In times of tragedy God IS present,
and God weeps for those who are lost.
Last Sunday
I said the church should not be in the business of morals. I stand by that statement even today.
Nobody would
ever say what happened Friday were moral.
The church does not need to tell that to anyone. I’ve heard Christians say that God is not
allowed in schools and that is the problem with society today. I respectfully disagree.
The problem
is not that God is not in schools…the problem is we don’t take God outside of
our churches. We keep God bottled up
inside these walls. Jesus’ was not meant
to be held inside.
Our reading
today concludes with John the Baptist proclaiming the Good News to the people.
Who were
those people you ask?
They were
morally corrupt people, people who took advantage of those vulnerable in
society.
This crowd
of people to whom John spoke were not Christians, rather people needing to hear
of the coming of Christ.
On this
day…there are many who need to hear that good news.
If advent is
REALY about preparing for the coming of Christ why aren’t we telling people
what that means? Why aren’t we answering
our call to be the light of Christ in the midst of darkness every day?
When are we
as a church going to start giving the Good News of Christ rather than taking
the bad news of a trouble society?
No comments:
Post a Comment