For those who know me, you know that I don't stick exactly to my manuscript, but it's close. I also don't typically post sermons since for me preaching is as much an oral art form as it is literary, but I was asked/told I needed to...so here's my sermon for the Second sunday of advent. The text was Luke 3:1-6.
Advent –
coming, arrival…a time to prepare.
Those words
have taken on a whole new meaning this week.
Our family has been waiting for the arrival of our baby. Christina diligently read all the literature
she could find over the last 12 months to prepare for our child.
We took CPR
classes, we took birthing classes, and she even took a class called, “Happiest
Baby.”
We prepared
the nursery, installed car seats, put together swings and bassinets.
We
frequently discussed what we would do when she went into labor.
We guessed
dates, and gender and we were prepared!!!
Then it
happened…at 1:00 in the morning…Christina’s water broke. I should point out that in one of our classes
the lady said, “When your water breaks, it’s not like it is in the movies. She went on to say that 85% of the time your
water breaks at the hospital.” I should
have known my wife would be the exception.
I was sure
that I was prepared. We would time
contractions, and as we timed them we would gather together the last few items
we needed to take with us, and at the appropriate time we would head to the
hospital.
It never
occurred to me to prepare for Christina’s water breaking at home.
Sure it all
worked out in the end, we made it to the hospital in time, and all is well, but
to be as unprepared as we were in spite of our belief otherwise is somewhat
concerning.
In our
reading today we hear of John the Baptist preparing the way for the Lord. In the church we often talk about being
prepared for the 2nd coming of Christ.
So this week
I asked myself…Am I prepared. I’m gonna
be honest…after the events of this week probably not.
We had 9
months to prepare for a baby…and they gave us a due date. We don’t have a due date for the coming of
Christ. We know he’s coming but we don’t
know when.
So how do we
prepare for something when we have no idea when it’s going to happen?
After this
week I’m not sure I’m fully capable of answering this question for you.
John went
out proclaiming a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sin.
That sounds
like a pretty good place to start…be washed clean in the waters of baptism and
repent for your sins.
The waters
of baptism are filled with the Holy Spirit, and we are washed clean. But in our humanity we can always find a way
to dirty ourselves. So John tells us
more. Repentance…
We are
called to repentance. Most of us when we
think of repentance we think of remorse or contrition. But I like this definition better because it
takes it a step further…To
make a change for the better as a result of remorse or contrition for one's
sins.
By repenting
you are saying, I can’t do this on my own.
I can’t…becomes God can.
If you’re
familiar with any of the 12 step programs such as AA the first step is saying…I
can’t do this on my own…the second step is a power greater than myself can help
me…God can help me.
I think we
as a church get caught up in the morals of the world and telling everybody what
they should and shouldn’t be doing. We
want to either ignore our sins or we want forgiveness of ours…yet we want to
judge others. We like to rely on our
baptism and gloss over repentance.
The church needs
to be in the business of forgiveness…not morals. If we are doing the judging then the church
becomes us good guys and gals AGAINST the bad guys & gals out there. Repentance and forgiveness are much more
productive the judgment and condemnation.
If we are
preparing for the coming of Christ this seems like a good place to start.
Our gospel
reading concludes…with a leveling of the playing field. Mountain and valleys will be made level…all
flesh will see the salvation of God. A
leveling where all flesh will see the kingdom of God.
For those of
you who struggle with scripture stating the first shall be last and the last
shall be first…this paints a different picture.
It’s not a reversal it’s a leveling.
Rich and
poor, slave and free, men and women, young and old, straight & gay…all
flesh will see the kingdom of God. It is
a coming together…a meeting in the middle.
We do not
live in a perfect world. We have wars,
disease, racism and poverty.
Far too
often we look to the world for salvation.
We put our faith in our stuff, our worldly possessions. We need to stop looking to the world for
God’s salvation and look to Jesus.
We can look
to Jesus in scripture
We can look
to jesus on the cross
We can look
to jesus in the waters of baptism
We can look
to jesus in bread & wine
We can look
to jesus in our gathering together
We can look
to jesus lying in the manger
When you
look around the world what do you see?
Do you see
our differences? Do you see our
similarities? Or do you see Jesus?
Imagine how
different the world would be if we saw Jesus in everyone we met.
I don’t know
if that prepares us for Christ’s coming.
I may not be the one to talk about being prepared.
We had 9
months to prepare for a baby who came on the due date, and we were still caught
off guard. I’m sure there will be some
surprises when Jesus comes.
We have no
due date…but we can all prepare. We can
repent, we can work to eliminate division and level the playing field, and we
can see Christ in everyone we meet.
And by doing
so we can prepare for the coming of Christ.
No comments:
Post a Comment