Today was our first full day in Mexico. Unfortunitely my body is still on Eastern Standard Time, so I woke up at my normal time, which makes it REALLY early here. We started the day with an awesome breakfast. I can't remember what is was called but it was essentially scrambled eggs mixed with a spicy sausage with beans in a tortilla. The food is awesome.
I should note that we did have running water today, although I haven't made it to the shower yet. I know what you're thinking...but i'm not the only one. I know what you're thinking...and not it doesn't smell bad in here. But I will be showering tomorrow.
We started the day with a tour of the community we are staying in. It's incredible the negative affects a government can have, and I'm not talking about Washington D.C. This community has been here for about 15 years and the governement has done basically nothing. No drainage, no garbage pick up, nothing!!! Well unless you count them re-grating the road every two years. That's right when election time comes, they re-grate the main roads, both of them. Mighty sporty of them considering many of the roads become impassible to most cars because of the ruts that wind their way through the street, and eventually fill with trash. There is little place to put trash, so rather than clutter the house, it gets put outside somewhere. Some of it gets burnt and some of it gets taken to the dump, and some gets eaten by the dogs that roam around. It is difficult to tell which animals are pets and which are strays. Many seem to be in poor health. Needless to say taking the dog to the groomer is way down on their priority list. Javier (one of our hosts) calls the people of this area the working poor.
Today we hosted some children for English lessons. The kids go to school for 4 hours a day, either morning or afternoon. Here at Lantern Hill they try to supplement that education. Today we had a morning, and an afternoon group here for English lessons. Two boys walked 45 minutes to get here for the English lessons, then had to walk back to school. When they got to school it was closed because the teachers didn't show up because they weren't getting paid. That's a pretty good indication of how important education is to the Mexican government. I didn't help with the English lesson, I helped in the kitchen instead. I fried tortillas for potato tacos and made soup. I had no clue what I was doing with the soup but it turned out really well.
After the kids left we did some project work here at the community center. Two computers were donated prior to our arrival, so we began to build a desk for them and some shelving. It sounds like we will finish that tomorrow, and I'll be wiring some lights in the unfinished all purpose room. The kids are so friendly and sweet it is awesome, how many kids give you a hug as they leave and thank you for making them lunch.
This evening we were supposed to go to another church service, but JJ from Lantern Hill tore some legaments in his ankle as we were leaving. That changed our plans and we missed the church service, but I don't think anybody minded. It allowed us a little extra rest and some great fellowship. Sometimes language isn't a barrier at all.
I have no clue what our plan is for tomorrow but I'm sure it will be interesting and rewarding. Every second here reminds me of how blessed I really am. I am blessed to live in a country we often complain about, and I am blessed to have a wonderful family who I was able to Skype with tonight. It was great to see their faces and hear their voices, but it also make you want to be home cuddled up on the sofa. I'm certain God has a plan for me on this trip I just haven't figured it all out yet.
So many things go through your head as you walk around these streets. All you want to do is help and sometimes it's hard to know where to start.
No comments:
Post a Comment