Saturday, January 14, 2012

Day 5: Ahead of schedule

I'm posting way early today because tonight we are staying with a family in the community.  Jimmy and I will be at one house and Lauren and Chelsea at another.  Thank God Jimmy speaks pretty good Spanish. 

So today we led a community Bible lesson for the kids.  There were about 20 kids.  One of the biggest cultural differences is how friendly all the kids are.  They just come up and hug you, and when they leave they say good bye and give you a hug.  Most of them say good bye in English.  It's so cute.  So we focused on the creation story in Genesis, and they had the kids plant seeds.  Earlier this week we build a small raised bed to start an organic garden.  Not only will the kids be able to watch the seeds grow, but the food can be used to feed them at lunch time.  It was a great morning.

This afternoon we went to the secundo, which is essentially a flee market.  You could find just about anything there.  I had pork tacos for lunch.  The shave the meat fresh off the spit.  Have I mentioned I love the food.  Jimmy decided he wanted some comfort food, so he got a pizza.  It started promising.  The lady rolled the dough, and grated the cheese fresh then put the pizza in a oven in the back of a van.  When I say oven, I mean like the gas oven you have in your kitchen.  It's amazing how simple things can be, and still be affective.  The final product was awful.  Apparently pizza sauce is not a Mexican specialty.  I guess we should have been tipped off by the bottles of ketchup on the table.  That's right folks...ketchup on pizza. 

So we're back at the community center taking a break before dinner and leaving for our home-stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment