Today I ended up at the one store in the states, that I refuse to shop at...Home Depot. On one hand it was really the first bit of American culture since I've been here, unless you count the Coke that was purchased at a little Mexican store, but that was in glass bottles and made with real sugar so I say that doesn't count. On the other hand, I hate Home Depot. I guess that was my confessional moment. Javier hates working with electricity, so I'm wiring lights in what will eventually be the new all purpose room in the community center. So we went to home depot for supplies. We ran out of time today so I'm hoping I can finish before we leave, but if not they have a nice head start on the project.
This evening we went to our second church service in 3 days. Getting there was an ADVENTURE. I will never ever ever ever complain about our roads. Steep hills are bad, dirt roads are bad, big gullies in the roads are bad. Combine all three and you have yourself an adventure. It was as close as I'll ever get to bull riding, and I'm OK with that. Today was a "short" service. It was only two hours. Yep two hours of church understanding 1 out of every 20 words if I was lucky was challenging. Apparently they like to put people on the spot here, since we were asked to sing a song. Y'all know how well I sing and how much I like doing it. The sermon was great. He was extremely passionate, and apparently very funny. Everyone else laughed serval times. Then after the sermon the pastor dropped some lady, Benny Hinn style. When Priscilla (more about her in a minute) walked in she said, "There's a lady laying on the floor." That was our thought too, but we couldn't get away with saying it out loud. It's great to be a kid. After the service the pastor, and her two sons, and a girlfriend came back for dinner. We had molay (I'm sure I spelled that wrong). Molay is pulled pork in a chocolate chili sauce. It wasn't a sweet chocolate sauce so I'm guessing more like our baking cocoa. It was awesome...have I mentioned I love the food!!!
So Priscilla is a nine year old teen ager, as she puts it. That little girl has more spunk and attitude than anyone I know. She is hilarious and she loves the Orioles. When she found out I had a son she asked how old. I said twelve and she wrinkled her nose in disappointment. She was hoping more like 9, but when I told her she was really a teenager felt much better. So I showed her a picture of Camden, and she said, "Hubba hubba!" Yeah she's got spunk. She was our translator at dinner she speaks awesome English and Spanish. What a wonderful little girl, I wish I could bring her home.
So the lesson or lessons taken from today...You can feel the presence of God in song and worship no matter what language. The look in the eyes of a couple in love is universally recognizable, and down here...they like to put people on the spot. Before we left for church tonight Javier asked me if I would be willing to preach at his church tomorrow. This is the "long" service!!! Like three hours!!! I sure hope they don't expect me to fill it with a sermon. I am honored to have been asked. When I asked how long he replied 20-40 minutes. If I include time for the interpreter I think I can hit that range. The bad news is we are leaving the site tomorrow morning and won't be back until after the church service. Which means the sermon needs to be written tonight. So if you're one inclined to pray, please do. If you're not, please do it anyway.
God Bless
No comments:
Post a Comment